Brian’s Banter, First round: Brea/La Habra football predictions
November 13, 2015 - garden totes
Game of a week
Sonora (8-2) vs. Tustin (8-2)
When: 7:30 tonight
Where: Tustin High
1. Sonora was awarded an at-large playoff berth final season, afterwards had it nude divided after a CIF-SS bureau reviewed an interest filed by Irvine. To make a prolonged story short, Sonora’s berth was after given to a Vaqueros, so finale Sonora’s deteriorate and a shortest playoff run in Orange County history.
2. No need for any CIF-SS statute this year, as a Raiders warranted a Freeway League’s third and final guaranteed playoff berth.
3. Sonora is behind in a playoffs for a initial time given 2012. Those Raiders mislaid to Valencia, 31-13, in a initial round.
4. Including this year, Sonora manager Paul Chiotti has 4 playoff appearances given holding over for a late Mark Takkinen in 2006. Chiotti owns a 2-3 playoff record, and his 2010 group modernized to a Southwest Division semifinals.
5. No Orange County using behind has some-more carries given 2014 than Sonora’s Jacob Fimbres. Over these past dual seasons, Fimbres has 478 totes. His closest counterpart is Garden Grove’s Jordan Antunez, with 369. Fimbres leads all turn carriers this deteriorate with 260 carries.
6. An mention from OCVarsity’s preseason list of Orange County’s tip using backs:
“If Orange County hold a high propagandize anticipation football draft, Fimbres would be a tip pick. His measurements won’t blow we divided (5-foot-9, 165 pounds), though a Raiders timber is oftentimes a fastest man on a field. Plus, he has a knack for attack a hole and holding off for a finish section with his speed (4.6 time in a 40-yard dash).”
6a. Only Brethren Christian’s Jordan Leonard has rushed for some-more touchdowns than Fimbres this season.
7. In 2014, Sonora quarterback Cole McDonald incited his 254 touches into 2,097 yards and 14 sum touchdowns.
8. In 2015, McDonald has incited his 258 touches into 2,668 yards and 23 sum touchdowns.
“I’ve stepped adult to a plate,” McDonald told me in Sep after gaining 371 yards in a 52-35 win over Brea Olinda. “I worked tough in a offseason to get better, to give Jacob other options, to make good plays in a flitting game.”
9. Sonora and Tustin played a common competition in Aliso Niguel.
On Sept. 10, Tustin kick Aliso Niguel, 34-21. Three weeks later, Sonora kick Aliso Niguel, 47-46. The Raiders, however, played a extremely worse schedule. Eight of their 10 opponents competent for a playoffs, and Sonora finished with a 6-2 record opposite those teams. Tustin played usually 3 playoff qualifiers, going 2-1. The Tillers compulsory overtime final week to kick Kennedy, 23-20.
10. Sonora/Tustin and Buena Park/Yorba Linda are a Southwest Division’s can’t-miss first-round games.
La Habra (9-1) vs. Kennedy (5-5)
When: 7:30 tonight
Where: La Habra High
A few questions, answered:
Q. La Habra won final week, right?
A. It did – 42-0 over Troy. Its second true shutout.
Q. And how many uninterrupted Freeway League wins is that?
A. Forty-five, an Orange County record.
Q. When do we think La Habra will remove a Freeway League game?
Q. What’s next?
A. La Habra is a Southwest Division’s No. 1 seed. The Highlanders horde Kennedy this week in a rematch of a first-round diversion these dual programs played in 2009. La Habra won that game, 56-10, afterwards won a Southwest championship 3 weeks later.
Q. When’s a final year a Southwest’s No. 1 group mislaid in a initial round?
A. 2008: Pacifica kick No. 1 Foothill, 35-7.
Q. When’s a final time La Habra mislaid in a initial round?
A. Last year, to Capistrano Valley, 44-42.
Q. What’s La Habra’s new playoff history?
A. The Highlanders won 4 true CIF championships from 2007 to 2010, and in 2011, they modernized to a Southwest semifinals. The past 3 seasons, however, La Habra has unsuccessful to allege past a quarterfinals. The Highlanders mislaid their final dual playoff games by a sum of 3 points.
Q. Is this a best La Habra group Frank Mazzotta’s had given his final CIF championship?
A. The Freeway League was adult this year, with 5 teams subordinate for a playoffs. Buena Park and Sonora both won 8 games, and all 5 of La Habra’s nonleague opponents are personification this week. The Highlanders possess a plus-316 indicate differential, and other than Tesoro, they came a closest to violence dominant Mission Viejo, a West Valley Division’s tip seed.
Quarterback Eric Barriere is personification out of his mind, and between he and using behind Cortlin Taylor, La Habra has filled a blank Carlos Martin left behind when he graduated in a spring. That, and this invulnerability is otherworldly, holding any hostile offense good next a season-long scoring average.
Also: Mazzotta is one of a best coaches in a division, and adequate of his players have been here before to know a stakes.
La Habra’s had teams in a past, though not like this one.
Q. So a Highlanders win this week?
A. Oh yeah.
Prediction: La Habra
Brea Olinda (5-5) vs. Anaheim (4-6)
When: 7 tonight
Where: Brea Olinda High
Brea Olinda, by a numbers:
26-0: The measure of final week’s Canyon/Brea Olinda game. Canyon won.
2-and-1: Brea Olinda’s North Hills League record, as a result.
1st: Brea Olinda station in a joining regardless.
2001: The final year Brea Olinda won a joining championship before winning this year’s.
0: Playoff games a 2001 Wildcats mislaid on their approach to a Division IX championship, a program’s final CIF title.
7th: Grade we was in that year.
5: Playoff appearances for Brea Olinda given winning that 2001 championship.
2-and-5: Robb Perrance’s playoff record during Brea Olinda in those 5 trips.
7: Playoff teams Brea Olinda met this deteriorate (Sonora, Valencia, Yorba Linda, Villa Park, El Dorado, El Modena, Canyon).
Minus-77: Its indicate differential in those games. (To be fair, Sonora, Valencia, Yorba Linda and Villa Park contest in a aloft division.)
1: Playoff games won by Brea Olinda final season.
3: Points Brea Olinda mislaid to contingent champion Garden Grove by in a 2014 Southern quarterfinals.
0: Other playoff teams to get that tighten to violence Garden Grove final season.
4: Brea Olinda’s seed this season.
2: Games it and Garden Grove contingency win, respectively, to accommodate in a Southern semifinals.
Prediction: Brea Olinda
Banter’s Week 10 picks: 4-0; season: 26-5
Contact a writer: 714-704-3790 or firstname.lastname@example.org